I am not a personal trainer, I’m not a doctor, I’m not a nutritionist. I’m not advising you to do anything. I’m going to just tell you what I do and the knowledge I have and hope it helps shed some light.
Recently these are the things that I notice make the biggest impact on my mental clarity and mental health (and stability haha):
- Getting 8 hours of sleep. I know if I have a big work day the following day, I’m not working late and I’m getting to bed early with a book in hand (not TV) to help me fall asleep.
- WATER. I aim to drink 100oz. Of water every day and i seriously feel the difference now when I don’t. That doesn’t mean I’m perfect at it.
- Scheduling my workouts.
- Working out 4x a week and having at least 1 active recovery day.
- Eating 3 big meals that include protein, a healthy carb and healthy fats.
My Top Tips
- Schedule your life around it. Make it a priority by scheduling it into your calendar like it’s a date with a friend.
- Drink a lot of water to feel less sluggish. I try to sneak in an extra 20oz. While I’m working out.
- Find a friend who is motivated to get their workout in too. Try to work out once a week together if possible, even if it’s the same workout so you can commiserate together.
- I don’t worry about showering after. Especially if I’m not going anywhere and working from home. Sorry TMI!
- Don’t force yourself to do something that doesn’t feel good. If running feels good, do that! If lifting sounds fun, do it! Don’t get caught up in doing it because you have to, switch up your routine if it motivates you.
Why I make time:
For my mental sanity and for my kids. I want to be a good example for them that exercise and healthy eating doesn’t have to be a chore, it’s something that makes them feel good. But also, we can live a balanced life.
Things that others have tried that seem to work well:
- YMCA has childcare
- Mom swap
- Working out while they’re napping or eating
- Including kids in workouts
- Early morning workouts
- Stroller Strides
Programs that I’ve personally used and love:
- Burn Fat & Feast is a 6-week nutrition and fitness program based on macro counting and intermittent fasting. Sarah runs a free 5-day challenge to introduce you and I highly recommend. I did this early 2019 and found awesome results in both energy and fat loss.
- Street Parking for at-home CrossFit workouts.
- I absolutely LOVE my Peloton bike and use it 4x a week. Enter my referral code: PJFH3K during Bike purchase, and get $100 towards bike accessories.
I’m an affiliate for some of these programs because I truly believe in the programs and products, as I’ve used this within the last 12 months and seen great results.